The paper will be based on Appendix 6C Illustrative Audit Case: Keystone Computers at pages 237-244 in your text. Write, in outline format but in complete sentences, a 6 to 10 page audit plan. It is recommended that you look at Figure 18.8 on page 708, which shows the control objectives related to accounts receivable.
In your audit plan cover the steps necessary to determine if you should select the client, the internal control procedures which need to be reviewed, the substantive tests [using accounts receivable a guide], and the final reporting steps. Based on the actual facts in the case determine the emphasis you want to place on various accounts. Also reflect back over your entire accounting program and think about how the accounts are interrelated. For example, when allowance for doubtful accounts is credited the offset is to bad debt expense. Therefore one of the steps should be to trace the debit side of the entry to the balance for bad debt expense.
Make your comments as specific as possible. Rather than say look for unusual entries, say look for entries from unusual sources and rounded amounts with focus on those near an accounting cut off. Use precise language. Rather than saying you “vouched accounts payable,” say that you looked at the item to determine that it was a bona fide business expense. Remember to focus on the key audit objectives and support needed after applying the audit risk model.
Remember, the purpose of the Paper is for you to culminate the learning achieved in the course by describing your understanding and application of knowledge in the field of accounting.
The Paper should focus on real life, real time application of topics covered in this course; the uses you have seen and the uses you can envision.
Writing the Paper
- Must be six to ten double-spaced pages in length, and formatted according to APA style.
- Must include a title page with the following:
- Title of paper
- Student’s name
- Course name and number
- Instructor’s name
- Date submitted
- Must begin with an introductory paragraph that has a succinct thesis statement.
- Must address the topic of the paper with critical thought.
- Must end with a conclusion that reaffirms your thesis.
- Must use at least three scholarly sources
- Must document all sources in APA style
- Must include a separate reference page, formatted according to APA style