Race, ethnicity, and the stratification that results from them — factors about health, employment, income, residence, and happiness — are of the most interest to sociologists around the world. The process of racial and ethnic stratification, along with prejudice and discrimination, and various patterns of relationships among groups are discussed in this module.
Also covered in this module are the inequalities based on gender, as well as in class, race, and ethnicity that has resulted in segregation in residence, education, employment, and other areas of life. Gender stratification differs from other systems of stratification due to females and males working, living, attending school, and interacting together.
- Sociology: The Core: Chapters 7 & 8
- https://bookshelf.vitalsource.com/#/ (email@example.com/Tutorhelp4ever!)
Write a 800-1500 word essay addressing each of the following points/questions. Be sure to completely answer all the questions for each bullet point. There should be four sections, one for each bullet below. Separate each section in your paper with a clear heading that allows your professor to know which bullet you are addressing in that section of your paper. Support your ideas with at least three (3) citations in your essay. Make sure to reference the citations using the APA writing style for the essay. The cover page and reference page do not count towards the minimum word amount.
- Minority groups are present all over the United States. Name at least three minority groups and explain why each is categorized as such.
- Within the United States there have been two views toward assimilation: the “melting pot” tradition and the Anglo-conformity view. In your opinion, which view accurately describes the United States today, and why?
- In 2000, women held 45% of jobs classified as executive, administrative, and managerial. But, in 2011, women held only 16.1% of Fortune 500 board seats, filled only 14.1% of corporate officer positions, and were 7.5% of the country’s top earners. Citing gender stratification in the workplace, in your own opinion why do you think women are being held back from obtaining these top positions?
- Cultural transmission theorists believe gender identities and behaviors are a gradual process of learning that begins in infancy. It suggests that teachers and other adults shape a child’s behavior by reinforcing responses that are deemed appropriate to the child’s gender role and discouraging inappropriate ones. What is your personal opinion on this theory? Do you believe that the cultural transmission theory will determine who/what a person will be in adulthood? Why?