Business Policies and Strategies
Part 1 Reading task Coulter, chap. 2 & 4
Write 500–600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas:
You plan to hold a weekly breakfast meeting with your team of strategic planners to practice assessing an industry. For the upcoming week’s breakfast meeting, you told your team that they should be prepared to discuss the business environment or industry analysis of the digital music distribution industry.
- Identify the major players in the industry, and how they are each currently competing.
- Discuss at least three current issues that this industry faces; they could be favorable or unfavorable to the industry
- Which of the major competitors has the best chance of survival, given the issues identified?
Prepare, in a table format, a SWOTT analysis on any real company in the auto industry. As you prepare your analysis, it must be based on the following definitions for strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, threats, and trends.
- Strengths: These are characteristics of a company that are stronger than its competitors are. If a company is good at something, but its competitors are as well, then it is not strength.
- Weaknesses: These are characteristics of a company that are weaker than its competitors are. If a company is weak at something, but its competitors are as well, then it is not a weakness.
- Opportunities: These are issues that are external to a company that can affect the company and its competitors in a favorable way.
- Threats: These are issues that are external to a company that can affect the company and its competitors in an unfavorable way.
- Trends: These are developing opportunities and threats.
The table should have columns with the following labels:
It should have at least eight rows for factors that are important to the success of a firm in that particular industry including:
- Type of Corporation
- Federal Regulations and Liability
- Price, Cost, Supply and Demand
- Code of Conduct
- Globalization, Global Trade and Global Strategy
- Labor, Employment Law, and Discrimination
- Economic Conditions (including Monetary Policy, Inflation, and Recession)
- Contracts and Intellectual Property
Cells should have one to two sentences of explanation as to why each has been identified as a strength, weakness, opportunity, threat, or trend. Not every identified factor will have its entire row of cells annotated.