Select a potential natural or man-made disaster that could happen in your community. Hurricane Then, write a 4-5 -page paper about the disaster from the community nurse’s perspective.
Section 1: The Disaster, Man-Made or Natural-
· What disasters may strike your community and why? For example, do you live in “Tornado Alley,” (Charlotte County, Florida) or has climate change resulted in unusual cold weather snaps or blizzards in your community? Are you located in a flood plain? Include possible diseases that may result from a natural disaster, such as tetanus or cholera.
Section 2: The Nursing Response
· Formulate responses to the disaster, considering systems and community levels of intervention.
· Review websites where a disaster plan may be available for the public, or if one is not currently available, call public health department to see if a disaster plan exists for your community and what the plan contains.
o In addition to reviewing websites for information about your local disaster plan, you will need to locate best practice/evidence-based practice guidelines in professional literature to determine whether your community’s disaster plan is as sound as it might be or if there is room for improvement.
Section 3: Is My Community Prepared for a Disaster?
· What conclusions can you draw about your community’s preparedness plan from having completed this evaluation?
For this Assignment, review the following:
Descibed a potential local natural or man-made disaster.
Considered system level responses to the disaster including nursing role with information from a local expert or evaluation of the local website.
Evalauated community preparedness for the disaster.
Offered conclusions about the community’s preparedness plan.
Cover page, title of paper on second page, level headings, Times New Roman 12 font, 1″” margins, and page numbers. APA References:
Uses in-text citations appropriately and format correctly. Paraphrases to avoid plagiarizing the source.
Reference list is in alphabetical order, hanging indent, double spaced in format. Each specific entry contains all information required by APA format including author, year of publication, title of publication, pages, DOI, website, as appropriate.
Stanhope, M., & Lancaster, J. (2016). Public health nursing: Population-centered health care in the community (9th ed.). St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.
· Chapter 15, “Evidence-Based Practice” (pp. 342–354)
· Chapter 23, “Public Health Nursing Practice and the Disaster Management Cycle” (pp. 503–528)
· Chapter 24, “Public Health Surveillance and Outbreak Investigation” (pp. 529–544)
· Chapter 25, “Program Management” (pp. 545–567)