The purpose of this assignment is to provide the student an opportunity to reflect on selected RN-BSN competencies acquired through the NUR3178 course.
Reflect on the NUR3178 course readings, discussion threads, and applications you have completed across this course and write a reflective essay regarding the extent to which you feel you are now prepared to:
1. “Apply leadership concepts, skills, and decision making in the provision of high-
quality nursing care, healthcare team coordination, and the oversight and accountability for care delivery in a variety of settings.
2. Demonstrate leadership and communication skills to effectively implement patient safety and quality improvement initiatives within the context of the interprofessional team.
3.Demonstrate an awareness of complex organizational systems.
4 Demonstrate a basic understanding of organizational structure, mission, vision, philosophy, and values.
5. Participate in quality and patient safety initiatives, recognizing that these are complex system issues,
which involve individuals, families, groups, communities, populations, and other members of
the healthcare team.
- Apply concepts of quality and safety using structure, process, and outcome measures to identify clinical
questions and describe the process of changing current practice.
- Promote factors that create a culture of safety and caring.
- Promote achievement of safe and quality outcomes of care for diverse populations.
- Apply quality improvement processes to effectively implement patient safety initiatives and monitor
performance measures, including nurse-sensitive indicators in the microsystem of care.
- Use improvement methods, based on data from the outcomes of care processes, to design and test
changes to continuously improve the quality and safety of health care.
- Employ principles of quality improvement, healthcare policy, and cost-effectiveness to assist in
the development and initiation of effective plans for the microsystem and/or systemwide practice
improvements that will improve the quality of healthcare delivery.
- Participate in the development and implementation of imaginative and creative strategies to
enable systems to change.
- Compare/contrast the roles and perspectives of the nursing profession with other care professionals on
the healthcare team (i.e., scope of discipline, education and licensure requirements).
- Use inter and intraprofessional communication and collaborative skills to deliver evidence-based, patient
- Incorporate effective communication techniques, including negotiation and conflict resolution to produce
positive professional working relationships.
- Contribute the unique nursing perspective to interprofessional teams to optimize patient outcomes.
- Demonstrate appropriate teambuilding and collaborative strategies when working with interprofessional
- Advocate for high quality and safe patient care as a member of the interprofessional team.” (AACN, 2008,