Competencies Addressed in This Assignment
- Competency 1: Assess the phenomenon of school violence.
- Competency 2: Explore offender-related communications relative to school violence pre-event, during the event, and post-event.
- Competency 3: Characterize contagion of violence.
- Competency 4: Explain the use of threat assessment in pre- through post-secondary education.
- Competency 5: Communicate effectively in writing.
In this assignment, the criteria in your Connect Your Learning Scoring Guide are directly aligned to Competencies 1–5 for the course.
Throughout the class, you have examined fact-based research on the history and phenomena surrounding mass violence and mass murder on educational campuses, contagion of violence, the symbiotic relationship surrounding mass media and these violent incidences, and theories surrounding the understanding of these events by threat assessment professionals. As you prepare for a career in criminal justice, you should have a basic understanding of the impact campus-related violence has on student and educator populations, their communities, and the nation as a whole, so you are better prepared to assist those you serve. Using your research of historical cases and their impact, as well as relevant data that you have used during the course, complete your final assignment.
Prepare a 4–6-page paper (1–1.5 pages per competency for Competencies 1 through 4), focused on the course competencies and address two key areas of learning for each competency. Competency 5 will be showcased through your coverage of Competencies 1–4. This paper should showcase your learning proficiency and describe the importance of your learning relative to application in a career context. This assignment should be placed in your ePortfolio for future reference, and to demonstrate your learning connections for future employment purposes.
Be sure to review the Connecting Your Learning Scoring Guide to ensure you understand the criteria for this assignment.
Your paper should meet the following requirements:
- Written communication: Must be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- References: One reference per competency.
- APA format: Format resources and citations as per current APA style and formatting guidelines.
- Length of paper: 4–6 pages, not including the title page and the references page.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12 point.