Corporate Social Networking
Companies are increasingly using social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter as part of ongoing business practices. The outcome of this exercise is to get you to understand the impact of corporate social networking.
Identify one company that engages in corporate social networking. You are encouraged to select a company with a social networking site that you have personally used in the past. The company may be public or private, for-profit or non-profit, and provide products or services. Once a company has been identified, answer each of the following questions:
- What social media website(s) does the company utilize?
- Who is the company’s target market? Does the company do a good job of targeting these individuals through its social networking site? Why or why not?
- Compare the company’s social networking site with its official website. How does the content and language differ between the two sites?
- Identify the company’s primary social media objectives (see textbook Ch18 for objectives reference) based on actual communications on its social networking site. Be sure to provide examples.
- Describe the promotional methods that the company uses to market products or services on its social networking site.
- What do you recommend that the company do to stay on top of current social media trends?