Unit Five: Lab Questions
The Ecotourism Game <- your first lab link
Read the article and when you’ve finished, make your choice between “Let’s try ecotourism” or “No, let’s not get into tourism” and complete the activity. Follow through the Ecotourism Game and make decisions by clicking on the appropriate link. When you’ve finished, go back to the start of the game and go through again using some different choices to see how your choices influence what is happening.
1. What is the beginning situation in your community?
2. What are some of the factors that a community might consider when deciding to start an ecotourism business?
3. What are the options for managing an ecotourism project? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each?
4. What challenges do you face in running the ecotourism business?
5. Why might some individuals oppose ecotourism or its expansion?
6. If you were managing the ecotourism project, how would you split the profits that it is making? What are the advantages and disadvantages of your plan?
7. Imagine that you are in charge of an ecotourism project in your hometown or another area that you are familiar with (such as a nearby state park, etc.). What would the project look like? What activities and accommodations would you provide? What impact would the project have on the larger community?
8. Is ecotourism a good choice for communities? Why or why not?