Deliverable length: 3-part response: See assignment description
- List the responsibilities as a hospitality operator; responsibilities to guests and guests’ property
To receive full credit for this Discussion Forum assignment and to facilitate an academic discussion, the following 3 parts need to be completed:
- Primary Task Response: Must be posted in the forum 5 days prior to the Part 3 due date.
- Peer Response: Must be posted 2 days prior to Part 3 due date.
- Summary Response: Must be posted by due date listed in assignment list.
Part 1: Primary Task
Within the Discussion Forum area, write at least 300 – 600 words that respond to the following questions with your thoughts, ideas, and comments. This will be the foundation for future discussions by your classmates. Be substantive and clear, and use examples to reinforce your ideas.
The Le Cordon Bleu Hotel is a high-end chain that is best known for its resort hotels and restaurants in moneyed destinations such as Vail, Martha’s Vineyard, Key West, and Scottsdale. It was discovered that its computer system may have been hacked at some time between April and December, disclosing names, credit card numbers, and expiration dates printed on customers’ debit and credit cards. Some guests who stayed at the hotel have had unauthorized charges made on their credit cards. Others have had credit cards and other accounts opened in their names without their authorization. Two guests, Robert Maxim and Mary French, have sued for negligent infliction of emotional distress stating that they are worried that their credit rating may be damaged in the future, despite no unauthorized charges having been made.
Discuss the following:
- Is the hotel liable for the disclosure of credit information of guests? If so, under what theory of liability is the hotel responsible?
- What are the consequences of the disclosure of information?
- Are Robert Maxim and Mary French entitled to compensation for negligent infliction of emotional distress?