Please submit your Day in the Life Analysis here.
“Students will identify a currently employed event manager. They will interview, and preferably shadow, the event manager regarding his/her career.”
A Day in the Life Assignment
For this assignment students will need to shadow or do a phone interview with an event manager/director. This assignment will be written like a journal, documenting certain things that stuck out to you throughout the day. In the conclusion of the journal, be sure to talk about the two biggest things a great event manager should ALWAYS do and the two biggest things an event manager should NEVER do. Lastly, in 10 words or less, write a takeaway message from the experience. The journal part of the assignment should be 3 pages, double spaced with 12 point font and 1 inch margins. Along with the journal are a few questions you should ask the event manager/director; attach these questions to the back of the journal.
- Tell us about the company: size, sector, location
- What is your role and who do you work for?
- What are the three most important skills you use at work?
- What does a typical day look like for you?
- What is the biggest challenge you have faced and how did you tackle it?
- How have you got to where you are today in your career?
- What are your career plans for the future?
- What are you doing to make sure they happen? What new skills will need to learn?
- What one key piece of advice would you have for students who want to get into this sector?
When grading this assignment I will look for 3 things:
- Detailed descriptions of the event manager’s daily life as well as long-term opportunities and challenges.
- Your insights and analysis of this career as viable or not for you.
- Quality and clarity of writing.
- Creativity in choice of event manager.