A powerful city court magistrate engages in a number of questionable activities while on duty. A list of some of the activities includes the following:
- Borrowing money from court employees
- Publicly endorsing and campaigning for a candidate for judicial office
- Conducting personal business from the court chambers
- Directing other business court employees to perform personal errands for him during court hours
- Shutting court down early to prevent defendant from filing pleadings in an ongoing case
- Taking kickbacks from private juvenile detention facilities for locking more juveniles up on questionable charges
- Banning one of the defense attorneys in a case from speaking during the trial
- Jailing an entire courtroom because a cellphone went off during a proceeding, and no one came forward to accept responsibility
- Suggesting to persons appearing before him to contribute to certain charities in lieu of paying fines
- Using court employees to perform translating services for his mother’s day care business
- In 1,000–1,250 words, address the following:
- Which, if any, of these activities would be considered unethical? Why?
- Which of these activities, if any, would be considered ethical and acceptable? Why?
- Be sure to use any research or examples to support your arguments.
- Also be sure to address each of the above activities and explain whether or not you feel each is ethical or unethical.
- Taken together, would these actions warrant the judge’s being disciplined? Would it warrant the judge’s removal from office? Why or why not?
- Be sure to reference all sources using APA style.