There are 2 general models to consider when discussing treatment of offenders. First is the medical model, which focuses on psychological evaluation and creating a treatment plan that corresponds with the evaluation.
The second model is known as the psycho/social/behavioral model. This model uses several methods, including a risk assessment and a thorough treatment prescription process. The psycho/social/behavioral model looks at all aspects of the offender’s life.
Compare and contrast the medical and psychological/sociological/behavioral models.
- Using the library, course materials, textbook, and Web resources, research the 2 models of correctional treatment.
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of the medical model? Explain.
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of the psycho/social/behavioral model? Explain.
- How are these 2 models similar?
- Based on what you have found, which model do you believe is the most appropriate for assessing special-needs offenders?
- Compile your responses into a PowerPoint presentation of 7–10 slides.
- Be sure to include speaker notes for each slide.
4 scholarly reference minimum / Do Not Write in first person even when writing opinion