ANSWERS MUST BE WITH EACH QUESTION AND NOT IN THE FORM OF A PAPER. YOU MUST USE REFERENCES AND INCLUDE THEM FROM THE ATTACHED BOOK. THE BOOK WILL BE INCLUDED UPON ACCEPTING BID.
Chapter 10 -The Old Testament Story (During Israel’s final days God spoke to his people through men who were prepared to go to great lengths to warn Israel that its sin would bring judgment and that redemption was available to a repentant people.)
1. What were the three major crises in Israel that the prophetic literature responds to?
2. Do you think Isaiah’s advice to Ahaz in the Syro-Ephraimitic crisis was sound? Explain your answer.
3. How did Hezekiah prepare for a possible invasion by the Assyrians during Sennacherib’s reign?
4. What are the five major sections into which Isaiah 1-39 can be divided, and what is the central idea in each part?
5. What are the Servant Songs?
The Prophetic Literature II: The Scrolls of Jeremiah and Ezekiel
Chapter 11 -The Old Testament Story (A weeping prophet, a valley of dry bones and a temple beyond description. )
Jeremiah & Ezekiel
6. What is unusual about Jeremiah’s call to be a prophet?
7. What advice did Jeremiah give the exiles, and why did he feel it necessary to give such advice?
8. What appears to be Ezekiel’s understanding of his call experience?
9. Compare Ezekiel’s view of individual responsibility to that of Jeremiah.
10. What was the meaning of Ezekiel’s vision in the valley of dry bones?
The Prophetic Literature III: The Book of the Twelve and the Continuation of the Prophetic Tradition
Chapter 12 -The Old Testament Story (Lesser known prophets continue the message of judgement and restoration found in the “big three” (Isaiah, Jeremiah, Ezekiel))
Hosea through Malachi
11. What problems are raised by God’s command to Hosea to marry a prostitute? How do different biblical interpreters address this problem?
12. What do the Oracles Against the Nations (Amos 1:3-2:5) say about Amos’s doctrine of God?
13. Compare Isaiah’s attitude toward Jerusalem with that of Micah.
14. Why might Habakkuk be considered an early Jewish philosopher?
15. How does the Book of Twelve function as a single book made up of twelve little books?