Read the Case “The Walt Disney Company: Its Diversification Strategy in 2012?” and perform the following analysis:
(This case is not in your textbook. You can access the case attached (it is also in the course materials tab for Module 3)).
- What is the Walt Disney Company’s corporate strategy? (20 pts)
- What is your assessment of the long-term attractiveness of the industries represented in Walt Disney Company’s business portfolio?(20 pts)
- What is your assessment of the competitive strengths of Walt Disney Company’s different business units? (20 pts)
- What does a Nine-cell Industry Attractiveness/Business Strength Matrix for Walt Disney Company look like? (20 pts)
- Evaluate the financial and operating performance of the Walt Disney Company. (20 pts)
Chapters 8 in your textbook provide detailed discussion of the topic/tool (Portfolio analysis) that you would need to know in order to complete this assignment.
1. A table of contents is a requirement. See the guidelines.
2. You have NOT followed the guidelines in using “Footnotes” to link your analysis to the materials in the textbook. See the guidelines.
3. The company’s corporate strategy is “Related” diversification. See ch. 8 for its definition.
4. You have NOT addressed questions 2 and 3 to calculate the scores for industry attractiveness and the competitive strength of each business unit.
5. For question 4, it is not clear on what basis this is constructed since you have NOT determined the two dimensions of the matrix. Also, the size of each business unit on the map must be proportional to the revenue they generate.
6. You have not provided any supportive analysis for question 5)