The purpose of this activity is to learn to write a thesis statement and an introduction you have also written for a proposed analysis essay.
Part I–Thesis: A thesis statement is written before writing an introduction but is usually placed at the end of that introduction.
- Read the following information about thesis statements:
- Write a thesis statement about music, food, or college that includes answers to the three questions that should be included in a thesis statement.
- Check your thesis: Does it include the three parts of a thesis? Does it answer a question about music, food, or college.
- Think about the “main idea” as a “claim” about one of these topics.
- Keep your thesis statement handy.
Part II–Introductions (and Conclusions)
- Read the following on introductions and conclusions:
- Introductions and Conclusions (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
- Write an introduction that includes the thesis statement that you created for Part I of this assignment. Ensure you include a hook at the beginning and your thesis at the end.