Career Outline and Assessment
For this assignment, you will assess the career opportunities available to you within your fire department or a fire department in your locality. Additionally, you will critically assess your own skills by demonstrating knowledge of self, career goals, and academic and career opportunities.
To start, you will need to research your fire departmentâ€™s available career opportunities (all opportunitiesâ€”not just vacancies). This may be accomplished through interviews, internet research, or human resources (HR) department resources. Keep in mind that some opportunities may not necessarily be available in your department, but there may still be available training, apprenticeship, or mentoring that can be steppingstones to other opportunities you may wish to pursue. You may choose a career goal that is not offered in your current department if you can still create a career plan to achieve it.
Once you have a solid understanding of the career opportunities available, you must then assess your own career goals and objectives. Create an outline of your overall short-term, intermediate, and long-term career goals. Make sure your goals are specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and timely (SMART). The goals and objectives in your outline may include a specific position or certification, or they may be more personal, such as attaining a certain level of wellness, fitness, or education that will enhance your career.
As you review the career opportunities available to you either in or through the opportunities in your fire department, review your outline of personal goals and choose one specific career goal to be the focus of this project. This career goal could be set as high as you wish, but it is important that you establish a goal that is realistic and attainable with adequate preparation and hard work. It is recommended you either choose the next step in your career or your ultimate career goal as the focus of this project.
As a vital part of any career assessment, you should begin with objectively critiquing your personal strengths, weaknesses, skills, and abilities. Below is a list of questions and tasks to assist you in your career goal assessment.
- What are your strengths, weaknesses, skills, and abilities?
- What are short-term goals that will provide forward movement toward your desired career or long-term goal? For example, if your career goal is a promotion or degree, what can you accomplish soon to get you closer to ultimately achieving that goal?
- What resources and types of support does your fire department provide so that you can accomplish your career goal?
- Are there college degree programs, professional certifications, or specialized training that you already have or that are still needed to achieve your career goal?
- What additional support can your fire department provide so that you can accomplish your goal?
- Are there resources available to help with job shadowing, mentoring, and coaching?
- Are there training and development options that currently exist in your department or an educational institute that will guide you in your career goal? If so, will they be able to provide you with up-to-date knowledge pertinent to your goal? What resources are available?
After you have assessed your identified career goal and conducted your personal critique, you will write a reflection that consists of the elements listed below.
- Detail your findings of the career opportunities available in your department. Include a statement identifying one specific career goal you have chosen as the focus of this project.
- Include a critical self-assessment of how you can achieve this one specific career goal. This should include your current readiness (i.e., current education, past training, or experiences) as well as your intended path and the steps and resources needed to achieve the goal. This can be accomplished by answering the questions listed above.
- Provide a summary stating what you perceive to be the value of your career goal and how this project can assist you in the achievement of that goal. How will your attainment of the goal benefit you and your department? In what ways can attainment of this goal help contribute to your own community awareness and social responsibility?
- Include an appendix containing the outline of your short, intermediate, and long-term goals to illustrate the path of the career goal you are focusing on.
The outline of your career goals should be in the same document and inserted as Appendix A following your written reflection. Your reflection must be a minimum of two written pages, not counting the appendix, title, and reference pages.
You must use at least three sources to support your project, one of which may be your eTextbook. You may also use other relevant sources such as your fire departmentâ€™s career development guide, standard operational guidelines, or policies on career development, if available, as well as academic or industry-relevant sources. All sources used must have citations and references in APA Style.