An important theme throughout this course has been communication competence, which is the ability to choose a communication behavior that is both effective and appropriate for a given situation. Take some time to reflect on your improved communication skills by taking the following quiz: How Good Are Your Communication Skills? Then, using our text, identify some key competencies on which you think you’ve improved or identify some areas for further improvement. How do you think these skills will enhance your relationships?
Prepare: As you prepare to write this discussion post, take a few moments to do the following:
- Read the writing prompt below in its entirety. Notice that there are two tasks:
- Look through the text and identify at least one competency you have mastered and one which you can improve.
- Consider how changes in this area could enhance your personal and professional relationships.
- Review Chapters 1, 2, and 11 in your text.
- Review the grading rubric.
Reflect: Take time to reflect on the various ways we can be competent communicators. Think generally about the role of communication in a satisfying life and rewarding career. Reflect on how improving your competencies can change your personal and professional relationships.
Write: Based on the information in Chapters 1, 2, and 11:
- Using the text, identify one or more communication competency you feel you’ve mastered.
- Identify at least one competency that you believe you need to improve. How do you think this improvement will enhance your personal and professional relationships?
Thoroughly address all three elements of this prompt by writing at least two to three sentences on each element. Use the course readings at least once to help you make your points. Consider copying and pasting these tasks into a word file and addressing each of them separately.
Your initial response should be 200-300 words in length and is due by Thursday, Day 3.