You will research and write a review of smart technologies for energy efficiency and energy… 1 answer below »
You will research and write a review of smart technologies for energy efficiency and energy
management, and research and write a review of green building certification schemes.
You may already be familiar with energy efficient lamps and appliances, but many other
applications and technologies exist. Some are already commercially available, some are being
funded through crowd-funded Kickstarter projects, and some are still in the design and idea
stage. Feel free to include radical and futuristic ideas.
© Copyright: Dr. Abdulrahman Al-Ibrahim, Dr. Abdulhadi Varnham
Divide the report into four parts:
(a) Your research and review of smart technologies for energy efficiency and energy
management should include:
• Application – construction / energy system / cooling / lighting / windows / etc.
• Description of the technologies – size / purpose / effectiveness / cost / etc.
• Technical details – automation / centralization / control system / cloud / security / etc.
• Personal evaluations, yours and others – observations / opinions / thoughts / etc.
(b) Your research and review into green building certification should include at least two from:
• LEED 4
• Green Globes
• NAHB Green
• Energy Star
• Living Building Challenge
• Passivhaus, etc.
(c) You need to demonstrate your understanding of the applicability of these ideas to Saudi
Arabia by including:
• How the technologies and concepts can be applied to low- to middle-income housing
stock in Saudi Arabia
• The distinction between certification for energy efficiency / building construction /
embodied energy / sustainability / energy gaps / etc.
• Whether different technologies and certificates are required for single and multidwelling buildings
• Whether the technologies can be retrofitted to existing buildings or only installed in
• Solutions targeting various building aspects such as thermal mass / solar gain / thermal
comfort / lighting and daylighting / renewables and recycling / etc.