APA format 2 pages 3 reference 1 from Walden University Library Due 10/1/19 8pm EST
Discussion: Clinical Labs and Instructional Videos
Consider the following scenario:
You have been teaching a clinical lab for a few months. During each session, you have noticed that learners spend more time participating in the introductory part of the lesson and less time involved in problem-based, hands-on activities. After consulting current literature on teaching best-practices, you learn that many instructors require learners to watch introductory videos before participating in clinical labs. These videos ‘set the stage’ for the lesson while also demonstrating the skills in which students will engage during their lab. You know that you will still need to review material at the start of the lab but are excited about the advantages that this video could bring. As such, you begin to search the Internet for a video that will introduce your clinical lab.
- Review this week’s Learning Resources. Reflect on the strategies and methods nurse educators use to elicit critical thinking and problem-based learning in clinical lab environments.
- Consider a psychomotor or skills-based technique that an individual might learn in a clinical lab. (Note: Clinical labs are not just for nursing students. Nursing staff and patients might also engage in this environment.)
- With these ideas in mind, search the Internet for a short video demonstration of a clinical lab. (Suggested search key words are clinical nursing skills videos). Once selected, carefully review the video, provide the link to the video, and identify the learning objectives and intended audience of learners. If these are not explicitly stated, use the content of the video to determine the objectives and intended audience.
- Consider how you might use this video demonstration to better prepare learners for an upcoming clinical lab.
- Use the Lesson Plan Template document as a guide to critique, create a lab-based lesson that could accompany the video demonstration that you have selected.