Read Chapters 15-16 of A Pocket Guide to Public Speaking – Fourth Edition by O’Hair, Rubenstein, & Stewart.
Purpose: To gain experience in writing introductions.
Write a creative introduction paragraph (a minimum of 5 sentences) for each of the following speech topics using the strategy specified in parentheses.
1. Something unusual or extraordinary that you have done (personal story)
2. Practicing safe sex (humor)
3. Extramarital affairs and cheating (startling facts or statistics; you may make up “data” for this activity)
4. Presenting an award (quotation)
5. How to make something (rhetorical question)