In 2016, Miami had the highest new HIV infection rate per capita of any U.S. city: 47 per 100,000 people, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). That’s more than twice as many as San Francisco, New York City, or Los Angeles. The LGBT community in South Florida, particularly gay men and transgender women, are disproportionately affected by the epidemic.
For this assignment, we will complete HIV Peer Training from the Florida Department of Health on Wed., 6/5 and then complete an LGBTQ service learning project on Mon., 6/10. Class attendance on both days is absolutely mandatory.
The STD/HIV Prevention and Control Program at the FDOH provides various services to the South Florida community, including testing, condoms, education, PrEP and linkage to care. FDOH’s HIV Peer Training facilitates various educational sessions and programs on topics related to prevention and sexual health.The goal of the program is to mobilize and promote the “Getting to Zero” initiative at a grass-root level in an effort to reach the community at large.To learn more about the program, please visit www.testmiami.org
The service learning project you will complete is a data collection/questionnaire project on stigma and knowledge of sexual health.
After you’ve completed your service learning commitments, you will then write a 1-2 page double-spaced, first-person essayreflecting on the experience. Upload your finished essay to Canvas in .docx or .pdf format by Wed., 6/12 @ 1:30pm.
Your short essay should:
- Describe and comment on your experience receiving HIV Peer Training
- Describe and comment on your service learning experience
- Clearly convey your take-aways and what you learned from this experience
- Includes polished, professional prose that, though not necessarily “perfect,” demonstrates clearly organized ideas and a commitment to the drafting and revising process
Reflective Essay—Non-Contract Grade
- [25 points]: The essay thoroughly describes, narrates, and comments on the writer’s experiences receiving HIV peer training and completing the service learning project
- [15 points] The essay clearly conveys the writer’s take-aways from the project, firmly grounded in reflection.
- [10 points] The essay is polished, professional prose that, though not necessarily “perfect,” demonstrates clearly organized ideas and a commitment to the drafting and revising process