Assignment 5 (Professional Development Plan and Presentations)
This assignment is worth 25% of your final grade.
The assignment consists of an individual plan for continued professional skill development and both an informal and a formal presentation. The intent of this assignment is self-awareness, planning, action, and reflection on your professional skills. Your professional development plan should be 5-7 pages, double-spaced, and include at least three sources to support your arguments.
Professional Development Plan
- Industry Skills Requirements
- Individual Development Needs
- Action Plan
- Workplace Values and Career Fit
Discuss why you are interested in pursuing a degree in business (or your chosen field). What major (accounting, finance, information systems and operations management, management, or marketing) are you most interested in and why? What would be your ideal job upon graduation? Try to provide more than just a surface-level discussion—do some serious self-assessment here.
What specific skills are needed for the job or career field of your choice? Your response to this question should be based on research. Plan to utilize databases such as the Occupational Outlook Handbook (http://www.bls.gov/ooh/) and O*NET (https://www.onetonline.org/) and be sure to use APA-style in-text citations to indicate where you got your information. Use at least three different sources for your information.
Choose ONE of the skills that is important in your field and that you feel you need to improve, and answer the following:
- Why have I identified this skill as one I would like to grow in?
- What knowledge/competency do I currently have in this skill area?
- How have I already developed this skill through this course and other opportunities?
- How will this skill contribute to my personal success?
Create a table that shows how you will go about gaining experience and knowledge in this one skill area for each of the following timeframes: by the end of the fall semester, and by the time you graduate. For each time frame:
- List some resources/activities (specific classes both in and out of business, workshops, events, work experiences, online tutorials, readings, etc.) you will use or engage in to advance your skills in this area.
- Tell how these resources/activities will contribute to your skill development.
- Describe how you will assess whether these resources/activities have increased your capabilities.
On the next page is an example of what your Action Plan should look like. Copy the headings on the side and top but put your own bullet points into the gray areas. You should have at least two items in each timeframe.
Resources I will use and/or activities I will engage in (be specific)
How these will contribute to my development
How I will assess my learning
By the end of the fall semester
Developing skills that make you attractive to organizations is an important aspect of professional development, but knowing how to assess a job or organization to see if it is worth your consideration is also important. For this section take the opportunity to think about your values and determine if a job or organization would be a good “fit” for you based on those values. Complete the workplace values exercise and identify your top five core values. As you complete this section please refer to the required readings on cultural fit posted on Blackboard.
Culture Fit Link : https://www.shrm.org/hr-today/news/hr-magazine/Pages/0209grossman1.aspx
Describe what you have learned from doing this professional development plan and how you will apply this knowledge to be successful in school and in the workplace. Did you accomplish the things you planned to do during this semester? Why or why not? What challenges might arise in the future as you execute your action plan? What is your backup plan? Why is cultural fit important in the job search process? How can organizations ensure they are hiring for cultural fit while also building a diverse workforce?
Be sure to specify where your evidence came from by including in-text citations and an APA-format reference list at the end of your paper.
The final assignment is due on 6.19 and should include all 6 sections except section 5 (to be completed in class). The informal presentation of your development plan will take place in class on 6/20 (bring in one hard copy of the development plan). The formal presentation of your cultural fit values and workplace location will take place in class on 6.17-6.19
- Thoughtful reflection on pursuing a degree in business, including major and potential job choice.
- An understanding of the skills required for success in your intended field.
- Critical thought regarding individual skill development needs.
- A clear action plan that is focused on developing one specific skill.
- Completion of the workplace values exercise and identification of core values.
- Application of findings from workplace values exercise and class readings to your organization research.
- Thoughtful evaluation of organizations to ensure alignment with your core values.
- Engaging presentation that conveys your career decision-making process.
- Thoughtful reflection on the future application of this plan.
- Writing that is clear, concise, and free of errors.
- In-text citations and an APA-style reference list with a minimum of three sources.
Individually research and identify companies that offer a good cultural fit for you based on your core values. Create a presentation (3-4 minutes long, using 4-5 PowerPoint slides or a Prezi) that explains what you learned about your values, describe 1 of the companies you researched, and highlight the evidence that helped you decide that this company would be a good fit. Be sure to use citations on your slides to show where you got each piece of information. Keep in mind that your classmates are your audience. What can you tell them about the companies that would be interesting to them?
For the informal presentation, bring in one hard copy of your Action Plan. Share with your classmates the skill you chose to develop, why that skill is essential to success in the business world, and your action plan for improving that skill. We will do an in-class gallery walk where you will share your information in small groups so a printout is necessary.