As a baccalaureate-prepared nurse, you will be responsible for locating and identifying credible and scholarly resources to incorporate the best available evidence for the purposes of enhancing clinical reasoning and judgement skills. When reliable and relevant evidence-based findings are utilized, patients, health care systems, and nursing practice outcomes are positively impacted.
For this assessment, you may choose from the following options as the context for the quality or safety issue or chosen diagnosis for researching and completing this assessment:
- The specific diagnosis you identified in your previous assessment.
- The simulation Vila Health: Determining the Credibility of Evidence.
- A personal practice experience in which a sentinel event occurred.
The purpose of this analysis is to better understand what constitutes credibility of journal articles as well as websites. The role of the baccalaureate-prepared nurse in incorporating evidence-based research continues to growth in clinical practice. As quality improvement (QI) measures to reduce safety risks continue to be emphasized, the need for evidence-based models and evidence-based templates is growing. This type of systematic approach to incorporating evidence-based findings allows nurses to make clinical and operational decisions based upon the best available evidence. When the most up-to-date evidence-based findings are utilized, patient-centered care improves outcomes and enhances the patient experience.
For this assessment:
- Explain the criteria that should be used when determining the credibility of journal articles as well as websites.
- Support your explanations with references to the literature or research articles that describe criteria that should be used to determine credibility.
- Your identification and determination of credibility should be done within the context of your chosen scenario for this assessment. For example, if you choose to use the provided Vila Health scenario, your initial identification of resources should be of resources that will best help address the presented issue. However, if you are locating resources to help provide evidence-based care for the diagnosis you identified in the first assessment, you may want to begin your literature and evidence search from the databases that identified. Any of the three scenario options are acceptable. So, pick the one that most interests you.
Be sure to address the following in this assessment, which correspond to the grading criteria in the scoring guide. Please study the scoring guide carefully so that you will know what is needed for a distinguished score.
- Describe a quality or safety issue, or a chosen diagnosis, that could benefit from an evidence-based approach.
- Explain criteria that should be considered when determining credibility of resources such as journal articles and websites.
- Analyze the credibility and relevance of evidence and resources within the context of a quality or safety issue, or a chosen diagnosis.
- This is where you are selecting the specific resources to help address the issue in your chosen scenario.
- Explain the importance of incorporating credible evidence into an EBP model used to address a quality or safety issue, or a chosen diagnosis.
- Communicate using writing that is clear, logical, and professional with correct grammar and spelling using current APA style.
Your assessment should meet the following requirements:
- Length of submission: 2–4-page scholarly paper, this does not include the APA-formatted title page and reference list.
- Number of references: Cite 3–5 sources of scholarly or professional evidence that support your findings and considerations. Resources should be no more than five years old.
- APA formatting: References and citations are formatted according to current APA style.