Make an appointment to interview a nurse leader. Nova Southeastern University faculty are not to be interviewed. Set up mutually convenient time that is not during your clinical rotation this semester. Explain to the nurse leader that you are in a leadership course and want to explore the individual’s leadership role in the organization.
Interview question guide
- An introduction of the leader you are interviewing (no names or places should be identified),
- How long they have been a nurse?
- The type of leadership style they utilize.
- What characteristics does the leader believe are important for effective leadership?
- What techniques does the leader use to empower their staff/colleagues?
- Describe the findings from the interview using the literature to support the type of leadership characteristics and type of power used by this leader.
- Summarize by reflecting on the experience and the impact this assignment may have on your future as a nurse.
Develop a scholarly paper that addresses the following criteria:
- The scholarly paper should be in narrative format, 5 to 6 pages excluding the title and reference page.
- Include an introductory paragraph, purpose statement, and a conclusion.
- Include level 1 and 2 headings to organize the paper.
- Write the paper in third person, not first person (meaning do not use ‘we’ or ‘I’) and in a scholarly manner. To clarify: I, we, you, me, our may not be used. In addition, describing yourself as the researcher or the author should not be used.
- Include a minimum of 3 professional peer-reviewed scholarly journal references to support the paper (review in Ulrich Periodical Directory) and be less than five (5) years old.
- APA format is required (attention to spelling/grammar, a title page, a reference page, and in-text citations).