Assignment 1: Discussion Assignment
The discussion assignment provides a forum for discussing relevant topics for this week based on the course competencies covered.
To support your work, use your course and text readings and also use outside sources. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.
Start reviewing and responding to the postings of your classmates as early in the week as possible. Respond to at least two of your classmates. Participate in the discussion by asking a question, providing a statement of clarification, providing a point of view with a rationale, challenging an aspect of the discussion, or indicating a relationship between two or more lines of reasoning in the discussion. Complete your participation for this assignment by Week 5, Day 7.
Telemedicine: Benefits and Challanges
Telemedicine can be extremely beneficial for people living in isolated regions and is currently being applied in virtually all medical domains. To address major health issues related to affordability, access, and quality of care, healthcare providers need to consider telemedicine as a reliable option when access to traditional medicine is difficult and out of reach. Healthcare providers, however, must consider legal and ethical issues when planning, designing, and implementing telemedicine. Key among these issues are those of patient confidentiality, privacy, data security, and transmission.
- How does telemedicine differ from the traditional medicine?
- What are other legal or ethical issues involved in telemedicine?
- Which of these issues, in your opinion, will be the most difficult to address?
- What technologies or infrastructure are necessary for the successful practice of telemedicine?
- What obstacles can prevent healthcare providers from seeing telemedicine as a reliable option, even when access to traditional medicine is difficult or out of reach?
Drawing on course readings or outside scholarly sources, support your answer with references, examples, and clear rationales.