Culminating Project: Content Area Reading and Writing Unit and Analysis
Develop a two-week content area reading and writing unit that includes the following components:
- An introduction to the unit which includes:
- A specific grade level, content area, theme, and topic on which to focus the unit
- Goals that describe the major concepts students will learn during the unit
- Common Core or other state English language arts standards addressed through the reading and writing unit
- Common Core or other state content area standards addressed through the reading and writing unit
- At least three lesson plans that target the topic and goals of the unit and include the following elements:
- Measurable objectives built around the standards addressed in the unit
- Strategies for activating students’ schema and building on students’ interests
- Strategies for vocabulary acquisition and critical thinking skills
- Corresponding text from children’s literature or a children’s website
- An appropriate corresponding website, software program, or effective media tool used in at least
- Creative text-related activities
- Creative writing forms for students to use as a response to reading (e.g., a simulated diary entry, recipe, advertisement, travel brochure, trading card, comic strip, postcard, business letter, menu)
- At least two assessments that involve reading and writing to evaluate students’ understanding of the unit’s objectives (Note: One of the assessments must include a writing rubric or scoring guide to assess student performance)
Write a 250- to 500-word reflective analysis in which you address the following:
- Explain how you will activate and use students’ schema within the unit and how you can build on students’ interests.
- Describe two to three instructional techniques you can use within the unit to teach the students.
- Describe techniques you can use to teach students how to determine important information and to synthesize facts, opinions, and other data during the unit.
- Describe study skills you can teach students throughout the unit to help them better retain the information.
- Discuss specific techniques, modifications, or adaptations for English language learners and students with special needs.