Use the image in “Discussion Question Resource: Chest X-Ray” to answer the following Critical Thinking Questions.
Examine the x-ray of a patient diagnosed with pneumonia due to infection with Mucor. Refer to the “Module 4 DQ Chest Xray” resource in order to complete the following questions.
Critical Thinking Questions
- Explain what Mucor is and how a patient is likely to become infected with Mucor. Describe the pathophysiologic progression of the infection into pneumonia and at least two medical/nursing interventions that would be helpful in treating the patient.
- Examine the laboratory blood test results and arterial blood gases provided in “Discussion Question Resource: Laboratory Blood Test Results.” What laboratory values are considered abnormal? Explain each abnormality and discuss the probable causes from a pathophysiologic perspective.
- What medications and medical treatments are likely to be prescribed by the attending physician on this case? List at least three medications and three treatments. Provide rationale for each of the medications and treatments you suggest.
*Book must be one of the required references:
– Attached: Pathophysiology Book Section: Chapter 23 pp.512-514
Links to be used for this Discussion Question:
Class remember our focus is on the respiratory system so please focus on mucor pneumonia in your posts and replies ( these will net you credit).Posts on other mucor infections will not earn credit as substantive replies or posts.
Below are some links you may find useful for exploring Mucor infections, although there are many types of Mucormycosis,
National institute of Health http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3122490/
Hindawi Publishing Case Report http://www.hindawi.com/journals/cripu/2012/120809/
– Explains what pulmonary mucor is and how a patient is likely to become infected with pulmonary mucor. +2
– Describes the pathophysiologic progression of the infection into pneumonia +2
– Gives two medical/nursing interventions that would be helpful in treating the patient with pulmonary mucor. +2 points
– Lists abnormal blood and ABG results and Explains each abnormality +3
– Discuss the probable causes from a pathophysiologic perspective. +3
– List at least three medications likely to be prescribed for pulmonary mucor and provides rationale +3
– Lists three treatments likely to be prescribed for pumonary mucor and provides rationale +3
-A minimum of three academic references from credible sources are required for this assignment.
-Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines.
-An abstract is not required.
-This assignment uses a grading rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the assignment criteria and expectations for successful completion of the assignment.
-You are required to submit this assignment for plagiarism.