LEADERS AND LEADERSHIP
The Case Assignment for this module involves viewing several vignettes depicting different leadership styles. Using critical thinking skills, you will identify which leadership style the character draws upon, and defend your answer using the leadership model principles presented in the background materials (see Attached background materials).
View the following six video clips* and follow the Instructions listed below to write your 5-page essay.
- This clip is from Dead Poets Society. Compare and contrast the leadership styles of both Mr. Keating and Mr. Nolan.
CineGraf (2014). O captain, my captain!
- This clip is from the movie Office Space where the main character is asked to work the weekend. What leadership style is Lumberg using?
ResoluteProductions (2011). Office Space—Working tomorrow.
- The third clip is a scene from Remember the Titans where the coach tells the players about the Battle of Gettysburg.
mikedaquila (2011) Remember the Titans Coach Boone Speech
- This clip is from The Princess Bride and depicts a battle of wits between Vazzini and Roberts where Vazzini has to decide which cup is poisoned.
Vecchiarelli, M.S. (2013) The princess bride—Battle of the wits.
- The fifth clip is from The Blind Side. What leadership style does the coach use and then what style does the mother use when she goes onto the field to tell Michael that the football team is like his family and he has to protect them?
MacPherson, J. (2011). Blindside p and p 2
- The last clip is from The Devil Wears Prada where Andrea arrives at the offices of Runway to interview for a job as assistant to Miranda.
moviemomentsAUS’s channel (2012). Devil Wears Prada.
*Note: These clips are all on YouTube. If you cannot access YouTube from a network that blocks access, you will need to use a different network or borrow another computer to complete the assignment. If neither is possible, contact your professor for instructions for an alternate assignment for writing a research paper on the Complexity Theory of Leadership.
- Discuss what leadership model(s) best describe the approach to leadership exhibited in the video clip.
- Trait Model
- Behavioral Model
- Contingency Model (identify which one—Fiedler Model, Path-Goal Model, and/or Normative Decision Model)
- Influence (Power) (identify which one—Reward Power, Coercive Power, Legitimate Power, Referent Power and/or Expert Power)
- Transformational Leadership
- Devote a section in your paper to each of the video clips. Each section should have a heading with the name of the video clip followed by the leadership style/styles portrayed. For example: Return of the Jedi (Coercive Power).
- For each of the video clips, you will need to use at least one of the leadership models listed above, and a few have more than one portrayed. Also you must use of all five of the leadership styles at least once in your paper.
- Analyze the effectiveness of this leadership approach. Give examples of how specific behaviors or attitudes illustrate specific tenets of the leadership model you have chosen. Defend your answer with examples from the clip and references to the appropriate background material.
- Is this leadership style appropriate for this situation? Do you think it will be effective? Why or why not? Under what conditions might this approach be most appropriate? Most inappropriate?
There is not one right answer to which leadership style is being represented in each clip—it is open to interpretation. However, the critical thinking in this assignment hinges on how well you defend your choice of leadership style. Make a strong and logical argument by using examples from the clips to demonstrate the characteristics of the style as presented in the background materials.
Keep in mind there may be more than one leadership style represented in a video clip.
You may want to do additional research to supplement what is on the background page. Outside research does not substitute for citing and referencing the background material, but may add additional support and depth to your arguments.
See attached background material for this topic
Your paper will be evaluated using the criteria as stated in the Case rubric. The following is a review of the rubric criteria:
Assignment-Driven: Does the paper fully address all aspects of the assignment? Is the assignment addressed accurately and precisely using sound logic? Does the paper meet minimum length requirements?
Critical Thinking: Does the paper demonstrate graduate-level analysis, in which information derived from multiple sources, expert opinions, and assumptions has been critically evaluated and synthesized in the formulation of a logical set of conclusions? Does the paper address the topic with sufficient depth of discussion and analysis?
Business Writing: Is the essay logical, well organized and well written? Are the grammar, spelling, and vocabulary appropriate for graduate-level work? Are section headings included? Are paraphrasing and synthesis of concepts the primary means of responding, or is justification/support instead conveyed through excessive use of direct quotations?
Effective Use of Information: Does the submission demonstrate that the student has read, understood and can apply the background materials for the module? If required, has the student demonstrated effective research, as evidenced by student’s use of relevant and quality (library?) sources? Do additional sources used provide strong support for conclusions drawn, and do they help in shaping the overall paper?
Citing Sources: Does the student demonstrate understanding of APA Style of referencing, by inclusion of proper citations (for paraphrased text and direct quotations) as appropriate? Have all sources (e.g., references used from the Background page, the assignment readings, and outside research) been included, and are these properly cited? Have all sources cited in the paper been included on the References page?