Write 4â€“6 pages in which you address a complex ethical dilemma, applying various ethical theories to the problem.
While working in the business office of a primary care medical facility, you come across records showing that one of your daughter’s grade-school teachers has been prescribed antipsychotic medication for the control of schizophrenia. Although you have been told to respect patient confidentiality in the workplace, you fear the potential harm such a person could cause in a position of authority over children. Develop your position on this ethical issue. What would you do?
Write a paper addressing this topic, supporting your position with credible research. You may begin your research with suggested Resources, but you are also expected to conduct your own independent research into the scholarly and professional resources of the field. The Capella library is recommended as a source for reliable materials.
In explaining your position, address each of the following questions:
- What features of the situation are relevant for making a moral decision?
- What would a deontologist like Immanuel Kant recommend?
- What would a consequentialist like John Stuart Mill recommend?
- How do you justify your own decision about what to do?
- Written communication: Written communication should be free of errors that detract from the overall message.
- APA formatting: Include a title page and a references page, formatted according to APA (6th edition) style and formatting.
- References: A typical paper will include support from a minimum of 3â€“5 references. You may use some of the materials recommended in the Resources, but you should also include support from your independent research of scholarly or professional materials.
- Length: A typical paper will be 4â€“6 typed, double-spaced pages in length.
- Font and font size: Times New Roman, 12-point.