- A clear and well written topic sentence
- In the body of your paragraph, include answers to these questions (a-h) to guide your explanation, as applied to analyze the hospital case:
- Is the question at issue well stated? Is it clear and unbiased? Does the expression of the question do justice to the complexity of the matter at issue?
- Does the writer cite relevant evidence, experiences and/or information essential to the issue?
- Does the writer clarify key concepts when necessary?
- Does the writer show a sensitivity to what he or she is assuming or takin or grated? (Insofar as those assumptions might reasonable be questioned)?
- Does the writer develop a definite line of reasoning, explaining how he or she is arriving at his or her conclusion?
- Is the writer’s reasoning well-supported?
- Does the writer show sensitivity to alternative points of view or lines of reasoning? Does he or she consider and respond to alternative points of view?
- Does the writer show sensitivity to the implications and consequences of the position he or she has taken?
Paragraph 2: Use deductive reasoning that starts with a general principle (the problem or question to be resolved) and deduce how it applies to analysis of the hospital case.
Describe the deductive reasoning process that was applied to analyze the hospitals’ rising cost of uncompensated care and justify the requirement for upfront payment. In your paragraph, cite the assumed truth of the set of premises, and a conclusion which cannot be false if those premises are true.