The Dawn of Modern Political Thought
Select a forum that interests you most for your initial post; then reply to two of your classmates in another forum thread than your initial post.
please chose one of the 4 so i can send you the question ( 380 Word Minimum)
1. Machiavelli: What’s New?
2. Hobbes’s State of Nature
4. Hobbes’s Social Contract
1. Renaissance Timeline
2. Machiavelli’s Political Thought: Sections 2,3,4,7,8,9
3. Hobbes’s Social Contract Theory: Sections 2-9
4. Hobbes: Moral and Political Philosophy: Sections 5(a) (b) (c). 4 is optional
1. The Prince by Niccolo Machiavelli: Chapters V, VI, XVII. These chapters are quite short. All other chapters are optional. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1232. This e-text of the Prince is downloadable ways, including Kindle.
2. Leviathan by Thomas Hobbes: Introduction, Part 1 Of Man: Chpt. 1 (Of Sense); Chpt. 2 (Of the Natural Condition . . .); Chpt. 14 (Of the First and Second Natural Laws . . .); Part 2: Chpt. 17. These chapters are relatively short, and you may skim over some parts. All other chapters are optional. http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/3207. This e-text of the Leviathan is downloadable ways, including Kindle.
Not Required but helpful:
1. Of Conquest Machiavelli focus on the sections pertaining to Machiavelli
2. Hobbes State of Nature: Paragraph 3b
2.Social Contract Theory : Very helpful section