Do you know someone who seems to understand exactly how to respond in any given situation and is genuine, well liked, and relates almost effortlessly with others? Chances are that person has a high level of emotional and social intelligence. Some employers believe that emotional and social intelligence are even more important than having a high IQ. For this Assignment, you will consider the role of emotional and social intelligence in personal and organizational leadership.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources on emotional and social intelligence, and consider how emotional and social intelligence contribute to a person being a good leader. Based on those resources, think about the ways in which you want to further develop these competencies within your own leadership of self and others.
- Refer to the Academic Writing Expectations Checklist as you compose your Assignment.
Submit a 250- to 500-word essay in which you explain the importance of emotional and social intelligence in developing leadership practices. In your explanation:
- Define emotional intelligence and social intelligence.
- Explain how being emotionally and socially intelligent is beneficial to an individual’s personal leadership. Provide specific examples to support your claims.
- Describe three or four organizational leadership practices that are reflective of an emotionally and socially intelligent leader.
- Explain one or two ways in which you want to improve your own level of emotional and social intelligence in your leadership of self and others.
- Be sure to include at least two specific references to sources (forms of evidence) to support your essay. As a reminder, these could include one or more of this week’s Learning Resources and/or an additional source of your choosing. Be sure to paraphrase, where possible, to demonstrate your understanding of the topic, and cite the original sources of the information you reference in your essay.