Determine the characteristic permanent and variable actions on each of the strip footings…
Determine the characteristic permanent and variable actions on each of the strip
footings (A., B, C) for the 3-storey building.
2) Sketch the likely deflected shapes of the strip footings and the raft foundation.
3) Determine the ULS overdesign factors for the strip footings and the raft
foundation using Eurocode 7 Design Approach 1.
4) Estimate the Young’s moduli of the clayey sand and the very dense sand.
5) Estimate the characteristic unit weight of the clayey sand and silty clay.
6) Estimate the total settlement profile of the 3-storey building and the 5-storey
building assuming that the other building is not present. Hence, determine the
maximum total and differential settlements for each building.
7) What interaction effects would you expect if the 5-storey building is constructed
many years after the construction of the 3-storey building? Demonstrate by
calculations and sketches.
8) Describe one method to mitigate the interaction effects the 5-storey building
have on the 3-storey building.